When you have to be out the door early in the morning to take your ball player to a game or practice, you need an easy grab-and-go breakfast option. Overnight oats are a healthy, carbohydrate- and protein-rich breakfast that can be eaten easily in the car on the way to the field. My versatile Vanilla Overnight Oats recipe can be customized with optional add-ins like vanilla or chocolate protein powder, nut butters, and fresh fruit to increase the nutritional value and help keep your ball player fueled for hours.
How to Make Vanilla Overnight Oats
Making Overnight Oats is easy. To make Vanilla Overnight Oats, just combine rolled oats (steel cut work as well, but don’t use instant oats!) with your milk of choice, protein-rich vanilla greek yogurt, vanilla extract, and sweetener to taste. Store in a 16 oz jar with a lid (like this one, which comes in a pack of four) in the refrigerator. Be sure to refrigerate overnight for at least 8 hours. The next morning, just grab a spoon, and you’re out the door with breakfast! This recipe is great for meal prep – you can double, triple or quadruple this recipe and make enough breakfasts for a few days. Overnight oats will last for up to 5 days in the fridge, so this recipe lends itself to weekly meal prep!
Boost the Nutrition
Vanilla Overnight Oats can easily be customized for taste, as well as added fiber, protein, or fat. Here are some some suggested combinations:
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats: Top basic Vanilla Oats recipe with 1 Tbsp of Peanut Butter and 1 Tbsp of Low Sugar Jam or Jelly.
- Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats: Mix 1/4 cup pumpkin puree and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice into basic Vanilla Oats recipe.
- Chocolate Banana Overnight Oats: Mix in 1 scoop chocolate protein powder and 1 tbsp chocolate chips. Top with sliced banana.
- Tropical Overnight Oats: Add 1 tsp banana extract in place of vanilla extract. Mix in 1 tbsp unsweetened, shredded coconut into the basic Vanilla Oats recipe. Top with sliced banana.
- Make your own! Customize your oats with chia seed, flaxseed, nut butters, fresh fruit, and other fun toppings.
Did you love our Vanilla Overnight Oats recipe? Looking for more easy grab-and-go breakfast ideas for busy Baseball mornings?
Check out these popular recipes from There’s No Place Like Home Plate: